Tux Guitar

Open Discussion

Subject Tuxguitar 1.1 in Sabayon 4.1 KDE, a method that wo

carltonh

INTRO:

So I just switched my main laptop to Sabayon 4.1 KDE from Ubuntu 8.10 and had to have Tuxguitar. Searching the forums yielded way too old advice. Tuxguitar had a newer version, Sabayon now has entropy and KDE 4, and the main Gentoo portage repository doesn't have it, and a portage repository overlay that has it had an ebuild of only an older version probably not integrated with KDE 4 anyway, and besides a mediocre-poor understanding of portage and ebuilds, I'm not sure how they are currently integrated in Sabayon. The Sabayon wiki seems out of date when I read articles that predate any mention of entropy. The articles might have worked, but I was afraid to try Gentoo methods. I also don't know how you run source packages in entropy. I saw some post or wiki that said to make the directory where the file is into a repository, but that just seemed insanely inefficient. I assume there is a way to just install a file from source without it being in a repository though entropy?

GOT TUXGUITAR 1.1 TO WORK IN SABAYON 4.1

So I downloaded the binary file from here: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/tuxgui ... x86.tar.gz and I chose to install it into /usr/bin just in case I wanted to use it under multiple users. The website says that file only needed a Java runtime environment, so I downloaded sun-jdk through entropy. That let it start, but when opening a file, it gave me the warning that there was no midi system. I installed Timidity++ through entropy, and sure enough, it works great now.

IS THERE A MORE SABAYON AND KDE 4 APPROPRIATE WAY?

I put in a package request for TuxGuitar. Note that installing Timidity++ pulled in the "arts" package from KDE 3.5.10. I'm sure there is a KDE4 method for playing midi now?

Julian

you made a book :)

well look,
the "tuxguitar-1.1-linux-x86.tar.gz" is a generic package.
It was planned, to have tuxguitar in "one" folder.
just extract it, and make 2 clicks to "tuxguitar"

I don't recommend you keep it on "/usr/bin" (this folder is for host binary files )
if you want it for all users, you can put it on "/opt/" , or "/usr/local/lib"
( more easy to uninstall later, if you don't put it on a system folder )

the only what you probably need, is make a launcher for it.
you can easily make a shortcut (.desktop file) of tuxguitar with any text editor:
----------------------------------------------------
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Version=1.1
Name=TuxGuitar
Comment=TuxGuitar
Terminal=false
Icon=/XXXXXXXXX/share/skins/Lavender/icon.png
Exec=/XXXXXXXXX/tuxguitar
Path=/XXXXXXXXX
----------------------------------------------------

( just replace all XXXXXXXXX to the real path where you installed tuxguitar ).
save it as tuxguitar.desktop,
and then you can copy this file to:

* your desktop
* /usr/share/applications/ ( to see it on the menu )

There is also the installer version of tuxguitar, that already creates this .desktop file ( but it don't move files, you need manually copy it to /usr/share/applications, or to your desktop )

About MIDI,
it's not a KDE thing.. its about your OS configuration.
you don't need have any X Desktop system to listen Audio, these are different things.

timidity is an option, if it have some conflict with KD4 on your distribution, you should report a bug to mantainers.
( you can build timidity from sources and manually install it )
fluidsynth is another option.
check if you have an easy way to install fluidsynth.
then, you may need download a soundfont file.
this is a little one to test:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/8MBGMSFX.SF2

then you can run:
fluidsynth path_to_your_soundfont.sf2

and select the fluidsynth port on tuxguitar.
you can take a look also to "qsynth" that is a frontend for fluidsynth.

Anonymous

LF-The christian shoes is an insanely popular brand. It is why many online retailers the famous genuine ugg boots and selling them at incredibly low prices. It has become a problem for Winter boots. These cheap Christian lacroix are made with synthetic materials. I recommend carries christian shoe in all sizes, they offer free shipping. womens edmonton ugg requires. Ugg boots do cost more, but they are of much higher quality. ugg boots still turn heads. If you are wearing Authentic Christian louboutin online.

Vibram Five Fingers Australia

Discover the joy of walking barefoot with the unique Vibram Five Fingers Australia brand of Vibram Five Fingers footwear. With a strong grip and excellent protection these unique footwear are a revolutionary Cheap Vibram Five Fingers way to make your presence felt. Vibram Five Fingers is not about making a fashion statement. It is more Vibram Five Fingers Melbourne about the feeling and sensation of comfort, utility and feel. Because of it's out of the ordinary design the Vibram Five Fingers For Sale initial reaction to these footwear are one of a surprise. This footwear is shaped like your foot and has Cheap Vibram Five Fingers Kso Trek well defined finger tips or toes. To be honest you have to see it to believe it.Wearing this footwear Five Fingers Bikila On Sale will help you to liberate yourself and walk in a more natural way. It helps you to get a Discount Five Fingers Bikila LS better balance and agility and as well as improve your posture.

Anonymous

These bags are cheap and durable. These cheap designer handbags?are suitable for all modern women. There are lots of designers who are the crme of the luxurious bags. Coach handbags are quite essential in every womans fashion life. Handbags are most well-known among the women.designer handbags cheap? Women want stunning handbags that are flatter. They use the bags according their necessary. In the Christmas, it is not easy to find wonderful handbags that enable you to feel so warm and comfortable. Women search luxurious handbags that can attract so manycheap handbags?lovers. Coach handbags are perfect for your perfection.
The air technologies is really a special gas encapsulated strongly into tough synthetic rubber of air cushion.nike air max 90 The important variables result in the productive of this technologies lies inside the air cushion. The inserted unique gas volume is higher than the slight gap of synthetic rubber that the gas have no likelihood to leak out.air max 90 Plus the air absorbing external vibration and pressure, then speedily restoring back to original appearance, simultaneously prepared for the subsequent shock, what`s more, it'll not wear out as the life cycle of nike air max 90 goes.

sdf

Do you know that there are many Louis Vuitton Outlet Stores Online,which offer the very cheap fashion items ,like the Louis Vuitton Handbags,Louis Vuitton scarf,Louis Vuitton shoes and so on.But they are not the original items from LVM.