Tux Guitar

Open Discussion

Subject I LOVE TuxGuitar Thanks! plus midi question

3dfrog

Hi

I am brand new to tux guitar and I totally love it. I am learning to play bass and this is helping me so much. Thanks a lot for such amazing software. I am gonna make a donation when I can. I feel very lucky because I found out about guitar pro software the other day but can't afford it right now, then I found tux guitar and I am able to play along with music right away :)

I am wondering, I don't know anything about midi music really, if i eventually bought some nice midi sounds would i be able to easily use them in tuxguitar besides the default sounds? I don't mind the default really but would be nice to have some more realistic sounds.

Julian

You can configure the sounds, but it allmost depends on what MIDI port are you using in tuxguitar.

In other words, tuxguitar don't play any sound, it just connects to a MIDI synthesizer, and it's who make the job.
so each synthesizer could have (or no) different modes to setup the sounds.

So, with plugins and software installed in your PC you can get more MIDI Ports in tuxguitar.
but to help you with it, i have to know what operating system are you using ( since it's not same story for win, linux, mac.. etc )

By other hand, i suggest you first "try" with any free soundfont.. if you see all is ok.. then you could think on pay for something better.

3dfrog

Hi Julian.

Thanks. I am running windows vista premium 64 bit. I have a realtek hd video card.

I downloaded a sf2 file but i don't know what to do with it and it is hard to find proper information on the web.

I switched from windows midi mapper to java sound in the settings and it sounds much better now :) If there is some other better one I can try it would be cool, especially if open source :) Thanks

3dfrog

I managed to get timidity running, took a while but i figured it out. I downloaded sgm v2 but the ditortion guitar is all messed up. I'm gonna look for a good sound font, free or commercial as long as i get good sound. Cheers :)

Julian

If you have windows, i think that the most easy way is by using the fluidsynth plugin..

Make sure that you have tuxgutiar 1.2 installed, where fluidsynth plugin is better than in older versions.

Then you can go to "Tools -> Plugins" in tuxguitar's menu, find the fluidsynth plugin and click the configure button.
There you can add your soundfont ( *.sf2 files )

Then this plugin is going to open new tuxguitar MIDI Ports
So the last step is to select them in
"Tools -> Settings", at sound section in MIDI Port select.

Anyway you told that you could make timidity run. my question is "how" ?
Some persons has asked how to use tuxguitar with timidity under windows, and i never knew the answer :)..
now you are telling me that you configured it..

>> I downloaded sgm v2 but the ditortion guitar
Personally i think like you :).. but in other discussion about soundfonts, SGM was the winner :p..

I think it's about testing.. just download some soundfonts ant test what is the best for you..
I often use the "MagicSFver2" soundfont.. maybe it don't have spectacular sounds, but i think it's clear (not sure how to say in english).. how to say.. some soundfonts seems to be really nice when you play 1 instrument, but when you have 5 instruments playing at same time, i don't like the mixed sounds result.

Another that i liked, was the CrisisGeneralMidi (but it's big and takes a lot of RAM )

Anonymous

Thanks Julian

I tried the fluidsynth plugin, this is much easier than timidity :)

To run timidity. I had to download midi-yoke and create a new output port. I had to make my own config file and place in the windows folder so timidity would know what sf2 file to read and know where the tim32g.exe is. The file is called timidty.cfg and the contents look like this:

dir "timw32g.ex"
dir "a340.SF"
soundfont "a340.sf2"

Then you have to run the timidity server app to get it to work with tuxguitar.

Really, I think all this is a waste of time because the fluidsynth plugin works fine and sounds just as good and is much easier. I don't recommend the timidity way. I am gonna uninstall timidity. Also, i got some lag with timidity and i have 6 gigs ram :o

Cheers.

Julian

So, you connect timidity with midi joke, and then from tuxguitar you select it as a normal windows device.

I knew how to make timidity run under windows ( as a midi player ) but didn't know how to connect it with tuxguitar.

With fluidsynth plugin it's easier yes, because the plugin is integrated with fluidsynth.
but i think if you run fluidsynth as application ( not with tuxguitar's plugin ) you would have to use midijoke too.

Anyway, this is the "why" tuxguitar-fluidsynth existense..
i didn't found any easy way to connect tuxguitar, with software synthesizers under windows, just because how the winmm API works.
In contrast with ALSA (a sound library for linux) that could be hard to learn for new users because it don't have MIDI sounds as default.. you don't need a software like midijoke to connect MIDI synthesizers with applications.

A 3rd option to load soundfonts would be with Gervill..
It's so easy as with fluidsynth.. but you have to download/install it before.

Elvin

how we gonna know what kind of tune is it? like Drop D or Drop C etc , sorry poor english

Billy

Is there any way you can use ezdrummer with tuxguitar? or anything similar to ezdrummer. 'cause its a VST plugin or something like that. Im trying to get super realistic drum sounds, but Im scared.

sdf

I am running a Burberry Outlet website, i promise all of our products are real ones, and i can deliver the order to any country .The Discount Burberry Handbags is our main product ,and the Burberry Scarf is hot sale now, anyone come to buy something will get a nice coupon for the first order.