Tux Guitar

Open Discussion

Subject Lilypond export with chord names: suggestions?

adavis

Tuxguitar is a deep toolset. I've been importing gp files and exporting to lilypond, to get awesome output, far exceeding the native pdf export of TuxGuitar. However, one important omission---one that has been discussed in the past, as evidence by several google searches over the past few months---is any ability to incorporate chord names into the lilypond output.

I've pretty much resigned myself to trying to edit the lilypond source by hand; however, it's not a trivial matter, as evidenced by the fact that it hasn't been implemented yet in tuxguitar's export facility. I have tried some of the GNU/Linux lilypond GUI frontends, but it doesn't just make sense to me. I guess if it did, even though I am not a programmer, I'd look at how to tweak the exporter to incorporate them. They seem to be in a separate bit, in lilypond code, with chordnames in an order referenced by the tab output routine?

May I ask what anyone else is doing to solve this problem? Can someone show how to do this in the lilypond source? It wouldn't be that bad of a task, I expect.

Tuxguitar rocks. It's been helping me to output hardcopy of my guitar teacher's arrangements, in addition to importing and printing other formats via lilypond. What a tour de force!

Mark Clark

It's been a long time since this question was asked. I haven't done this in a while but it seems to me that if you use TG chord diagrams with names you can export them to LilyPond. Of course LilyPond will print the diagrams too but I think it's easy to tweak the .ly source file to instruct LilyPond to use only the names and not the diagrams.

As I say, I haven't done that in a long time but that's what I remember.

Me

Simply add the chordname as text in Tuxguitar.

It's trivial to do this... Just add your chord and then press 't' for text and add your chord name.

It's a hack but it does work very well.