Tux Guitar

Open Discussion

Subject TuxGuitar vs. Guitar Pro: which is better?

CPB

I've used a demo version of Guitar Pro in the past, but because it was a demo version I was always frustrated by its limitations so I never got to see what the full version of the program was like. I've been using Tux for a few months now and like it. Now I can FINALLY take tabs I've downloaded and edit the parts that are incorrect and save the changes, something I could never do with the demo version of GP.

What I want to use a tab program for is to learn things I can't quite figure out by ear, and sometimes to be able to play them back at a slower tempo so I can work things out better. Tux meets those requirements. My only complaint is with the user-friendliness of some of the editing functions... it just seems like too many mouse clicks are needed to do some things.

That being said, I have some questions about Tux vs. GP:

Can Tux do things that GP can't?

Can GP do things that Tux can't?

Is GP more user-friendly than Tux?

Does GP have the same import/export capabilities as Tux?

I'm pretty happy with Tux, but I guess what I want to know is if it would be worth it to buy GP.

CPB

Seriously, no one here has used Guitar Pro and can answer these questions?

hacknslash

I've only been using TuxGuitar for a few months, and I've only played with Guitar Pro 6 demo (which seems to show all the features but can't save), but here are a few things I've found that I need that TuxGuitar does not have and Guitar Pro 6 does have:

- GP6 definitely has better (readable) printouts. I have not been able to figure out how to get TuxGuitar to truly print out something that isn't too small to see. I've played a bit with the config file based on comments on this discussion board, but there's just not enough info that I have found to make it work.
- GP6 can let you do repeats of music for verses while showing different lyrics or each verse. I have not found a way to do that with TG
- GP6 will let you expand the measures so the lyrics are not squished and unreadable
- GP6 has a much better playback with it's Real Sound Engine instead of just the MIDI simulation. Maybe I don't know how to do it, but the MIDI simulation of guitar just in both programs sounds like an electric piano, others have commented on the same. I'm still learning the RSE in Gp6, but these are apparently real notes from real instruments, and some of the samples given truly sound like guitars.
-GP6 adds features like post-processing filters/effects, if you need that.

Don't get me wrong, I GREATLY APPRECIATE TuxGuitar as an option, and even though it is freeware, I will donate to the cause, although I'll probably go buy and use GP6 because I want those extra features and it I think it is worth it for me. Please keep up the good work on TG and please donate even $10 if you can to keep it going.

CPB

Thanks for replying.

GoldenPickaxe

I still can't figure out how to get soundfonts to work.
Does GP do soundfonts?

mary the crazy

best is guitar pro 6 kiss

Anonymous

Thanks for that useless comment, mary the moron.

Fragmenta Bassist

I've got both Tux and GP5 in full and I find that TuxGuitar is better because it has a few more features then GP5 does like importing Pro Tab files which is cool. Also you really can't argue with the price of TG but it could be updated a little more often now with GP6 out it needs to keep up.

mother of all trolls

guitar pro's rse sucks it only wastes free space on the hd

only good thin' from the 6th version is the effect processing thing and the 8 string feature..

Anonymous

What are Pro Tab files? You mean Power Tab?

The RSE sucks? Really? It sure sounds good in the examples I've heard.

Santa George

GP has far nicer printouts. And a biggie for me, the ability to select a phrase and use the Training Mode on it. As near as I can tell, you can't select part of a score in Tux, it's all or one note or nothing. If I want to train on a phrase in Tux, I currently have to create a copy of the file and delete everything except the part I want to loop on. (Any corrections to this? I'd love to be mistaken.)

Tux does import various file formats, which is nice. And it's free. Very nice work so far, thank you programmers for your efforts. But as near as I can tell, GP is way out front and pulling away fast.

(and the rude replies begin..... now.)

Anonymous

Pressing F9 gets you into the play mode selection. Training Mode options include choosing which measures you want repeated.

Anonymous

tux gave us the source code to develop plugins and for improving it guitar pro doesn't

Anonymous

"tux gave us the source code to develop plugins and for improving it guitar pro doesn't"

That only makes it 'better' in theory. What good does it do if no one is bothering trying to improve it? The current build available here is over 2 years old. I've never seen anyone post a link to a newer version anywhere else. GP issues updates/fixes when needed.

And about the plug-ins, who's developed any besides what comes with the program? Again, I've never seen a link to anyone's website that has them hosted there.

fortash

I can see that you have never tried Guitar Pro 5 full version. Cuz if you had, you wouldn't be asking which is better.
TuxGuitar SUCKS! Seriously.... You cant even copy paste a section of the track. You need to delete every note by hand. If you want to make a new instrument with the same notes you have to write them down yourself. The sound is fucked up, and I'm not talking about RSE, GP5 comes with MIDI sounds that sound better than the best soundfont round here. Fuck UBUNTU!

Anonymous

Speak for yourself. You CAN copy and paste a section of a track, you apparently just don't know how to do it.

I don't know anything about using Tux in Linux, but in Windows I've played the same file in both GP5 and Tux and it sounds exactly the same. I've never had a single issue with sound in Tux, it works fine.

Anonymous

for sound like RSE, use ZynAddSubFX and hydrogen

Nikola

I would rather recommend Fluidsynth with some GOOD soudbank than ZynAddSubFX. That way TuxGuitar can sound even better than GP.

Anonymous

Could you say me which are the GOOD soundbanks ?

Nikola

Try SGM-V2.01 - http://www.geocities.jp/shansoundfont/

Timidity is probably even better to use with good soundfonts, because it utilizes pitch change commands.

Anonymous

http://www.sf2midi.com/soundfonts/file-detail/111-2mg-zx128-kr5-bank-sf2-218.html

Anon

@op

It really depends what you use it for...

For me its pretty much just a trainer and it can be used like that just fine, since i never use 99% of the features most commercial tabbing programs have (or even most of what tux has)

Michael

Guitar Pro is one hundred times better than TuxGuitar. It's way more intuitive and user friendly. I feel like whoever programmed Tuxguitar and myself wouldn't even be able to have a conversation - I don't get their thinking process at all.

Guitarpro is easy to have alternate tunings. I'm not sure if Tuxguitar can do that. If it can it sure is difficult to make it do so. Save yourself the aggrevation.

SeltsamerAttraktor

Sure Tuxguitar does alternative tunings. Just double click on your instrument down in the bar and change the strings to whatever you want.

Copy & Paste may be a bit awkward, but it is there and it works.

To you guys who use TG on windows: do you really use the standard MIDI sounds or TG's internal synthesizer? I cannot possible imagine that, because it sounds awful. Having a good MIDI synthie around is simply a must. I figured to use fluidsynth with qsynth as a GUI and some good soundfonts.

I'd love to see this project live on and flourish.

mel

tuxguitar 1.2 can insert (or delete) a beat and keep all the measures right, GP6 can't do that (with GP6 You hate to rewrite the following measure)

zvidakovic

If you want proffesional tool, go buy GP. If you are a hobbyist, like most of us, and you don't have money to buy GP, just use TG.
Of course GP is better.. There is no question about it. There is a good reason for that: it's because it has a large development team and money behind it. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.
I'm using TG, for several years now, combined with a Fluidsynth and LilyPond, and I really have no major objections about it. Only thing that's missing is some kind of native support for soundfonts, because Fluidsynth is sometimes heavy on memory.

Anonymous

Frankly people....TAB sucks :) perhaps it's time to become musically literate and learn how to read music instead???

ROFL!!

Anonymous

That comment seriously made you 'ROFL'? Please. If YOU can read music why would you even know what Tux is or be on its forum in the first place?

There's nothing wrong with knowing how to read music, but it's far from a requirement if music is just a hobby.

SketchyMan

Haha, I actually found this discussion by googling "tuxguitar sucks"...

Anyway, I think it's a cool little program. It would be nice if it was easier to figure out how to do things like copy/pasting parts of measures into other measures. This interface is not the most user-friendly. It's very annoying to have to manually press a button to advance each beat. It'd be much preferable to have the cursor advance automatically after entering each note, and having to hold shift to enter multiple notes in a single beat.

Honestly, it almost seems easier to just type the tabs out in Gedit than to click them into Tuxguitar.

Nick

Guitar pro

teodorom

It depends largely on what do you want to be as a guitarist ...
If you are happy with readings TABS, you can continue to use TuxGuitar. If you want to be more a "musician", use GuitarPro, version 6, obviously (version 5 was a mess).
GuitarPro 6 allows you to write some serious music, and it's (at least for guitarists) a serious competitor of more professional tools.
It is not without defects (at least for a "would be" jazz guitar player): I'm waiting for version 7.

Drummer#1

Giutar Pro is better for example it shows the drum notes readable and thats very important but it´s very expensive for such a simple programm.

Ignatz

Hi Drummer#1,

I'm not a drummer but Tuxguitar allows you to set a track as a Percussive Track (check box on /Track/Properties) and allows the user to edit the percussive track via /View/Show Matrix. I suspect that you already know this but doesn't the Matrix display the Percussive Track in the way you want?

At present there doesn't appear to a way to print out the Matrix but if there was would that be what you are looking for?

Why not specify what you would like to see and post it to the "New features, or why you don't use TG" thread in this forum (Open Discussion).

In my view Tuxguitar has greater potential and appeals to a broader range of users (e.g. composers, musicians other that guitarists, music creators who may not be able to play any instrument, as well as Guitarists) than Guitar Pro.

Although, Tuxguitar has a few aesthetic weaknesses and some features that need to be added, these can be put right as long as we communicate our needs clearly to the current developers.

Drummer #1

Hi Ignatz,
Yes I already knew it.
Thanks for the Forum tip.
I think too that it has a great potential and in the most cases it´s nearly perfect but the drumscore are still a problem.
Long live the idea of OPEN-SOURCE !!
:-D

teodorom

Yes, we can communicate our needs ... but what about the fact that TuxGuitar is not yet compatible, SINCE A LONG TIME (!!!), with GuitarPro 6 ?

Anonymous

I don't have any GP6 files, but you can try opening them with Tab Exporter and converting them to GP5 files which Tux *can* open.

http://www.tab-exporter.com/index.php?mod=index

teodorom

Many of the GP5 files you can get this way cannot be opened by TG.

Ignatz

Hi teodorom,

I guess it is nice that Tuxguitar can open Guitar Pro files and other files, such as TablEdit files, but I personally don't see that as being a particularly key feature of Tuxguitar. Guitar Pro and TablEdit are proprietary so they are not necessarily going to make it convenient for other applications to read their files.

I might be mistaken but I don't believe that Guitar Pro can open TG files?

You need to give some consideration to the fact that Tuxguitar was developed by volunteers and has not been updated since 2009. Recently a number of individuals have kindly stepped forward to develop a new version of Tuxguitar. Let's wish them well with their endeavours!

I haven't seen any other post requesting that Tuxguitar be able to read GP6 files, although it doesn't seem an unreasonable request. If it is important to you that Tuxguitar should read GP6 files then you need to post your request to the "New features, or why you don't use TG" thread in this forum (Open Discussion).

Kind regards,

Ignatz

Anonymous

LF-The coast clothing is well-known brands, and also the world's most famous genuine ugg boots brand. Sold in the UK market is the United States, coast dresses uk, and are made in China. All sheep wool of fine workmanship, even in summer wear coast dresses will not feel hot. Sand and chestnut color is the most popular color, mid-counter sale of stock. There is also a concept; "Ugg boots uk" Australia produced it? coast dress most of the models are made ??in China, a small number of Coast Halter Dresses manufactured in New Zealand. But one thing to note: the United States ugg boots Useful.

women ugg boots

ZY-Pick from discount barbour jacket quilted they are a nice of footwear, This ugg boots works! winter boots can be encountered in short and high styles. UGG Women Boots Ultimate Tall Braid and barbour quilted jacket can be encountered, barbour jackets to tan and earth colour outlet while UGG Men Boots can be barbour jacket in the bigger neutral colors.

tifffany and co

The best tiffany sale site online

tiffany and co
tiffany keys

welcome to my site

ghdth

g star raw is a British clothing brand, known by all over the world for his g star jeans 3D dimensional cut. Its products including g star jackets, but all are expensive. If you would like to shop g star products as a cheap price, you can shop them from www.cheapgstar.com. The red sole shoes—louboutin shoes also is known throughout the world, but the price is very expensive, usually one pair of christian louboutin pumps price range is USD 500-2000, if you want to shop christian louboutin shoes for cheap price, it is a best way to shop them on louboutin outlet on Internet , it is cheap, quality guarantee, and convenience.

sdf

You would have hear of the Coach Outlet Store Online ,they are website store ,many people like to buy the Coach Purses from the Coach Outlet Website,they supply the Unbeatable prices and nice coupon. Many people in USA and Canada buy the cheap coach items for their friend's birthday via Online Store.