Tux Guitar

Open Discussion

Subject Timidity soundfont/patch

Johnny

By listening some tablatures I noticed that some instruments are missing from my default Timidity & freepats distributions (some strings, maybe more).

What do you think, what is the best soundfont or sound patch to use with Timidity?

Laja

What I like is the a340 sf2 soundfont. It's 80Mb, freely downloadable, sounds quite ok. But tell me if you find better :)

Johnny

I've just tried several freely available soundfonts, including Airfont340. They are all better than Freepats, I have to admit.
Airfont 340 is very good, but I have to say that distortion and overdriven guitar samples are really bad. They sound totally artificial. Clean guitars and percussions are ok. Soundfont is 78MB, one of

I also tried:

8MBGMSFX - some instruments are missing, but considering it is only 8MB big it is good choice for those with slow computers (it takes less memory than freepats).

Fluid v3.0 - 141MB, good guitars and nice sound quality, but percussions (drums and cymbals to be more precise) sound a bit thin to me.

AllInOneGM v1.1 - 84MB, sounds pretty good, no big complains, only that it doesn't sound so hi-fi.

SGM-V2.0 - 235MB, my weapon of choice from now on. Samples sound great. Usable sounds, guitars sound good and the quality is great. Only it is very big, so I wouldn't recommend it to someone with less than 1GB of memory.

I also downloaded CrisisGeneralMidi3.1, which is more than 1.5GB unpacked, but it requires registration on their forum to get password for RAR archive, and I'm still waiting. I wonder if my 2GB of RAM would be enough. :) It better be good! There are smaler earlier versions also at bismutnetwork.com

All of these soundfont collections except last one can be downloaded from www.sf2midi.com, free registration needed. :(

It is very easy to put them inside Timidity and Fluidsynth... In Timidity you should just put line

soundfont /path/to/file.SF2

in /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg... and comment freepats or whatever you're using.

Should I write Wiki about this?

Ethan

My default is UGMv_1 from sf2midi.com

gnumm

I also use SGM-V2.0 on Linux and it sounds great.
Can I also use this on Windows?

Johnny

You can with any Windows synthesizer that supports soundfonts, e.g. Fluidsynth or Gervill.

yervah

Hey, I got a question that no one seems to mention or maybe no one is having this issue.
I use Qsynth which uses fluidsynth. When I load a guitar soundfont and connect tuxguitar to it, I can't use the effects like bends, hammer-ons etc. It works with the built-in synth. Am I missing something or jsut messing it up?

Julian

Unfortunatly, for any reason fluidsynth server (i tested under alsa driver) don't receive "pitch bend sensitive" events. so this cause you can't listen pitch bends (or listen them, but to slow)
I don't have idea if it happen with other driver.

What i know, if fluidsynth API have that function.
So if you install TuxGuitar-fluidsynth plugin (you'll need build it from sources) what uses fluidsynth API instead of Alsa, you'll be able to listen that pitchbends.

yervah

thanx Julian...will try it.

Anonymous bin Ich

Hi! This is almost a dead thread, but I am very curious... where do you find SGM-V2.0? Google search gives me this thread!

Johnny

SGM-2.01 is out
http://www.geocities.jp/shansoundfont/

Torge

Hi,
I've also tried Airfont 340, FluidR3 and SGM-2.01 now and agree with Johnny regarding the general quality.

SGM is by far the best, but the bass is way too quiet for me as a bassist. I can hardly hear it among the other instruments in some songs.

I don't want to switch back to the worse fonts, but unfortunately I can't really work with SGM like that either.

Is there a way to increase the volume of the bass?

Julian

From tuxguitar you can mix the volumes ( see on menu View -> Show Mixer )
But it may be hard to change mix values for all files you have.

If you run timidity you probably needs a better configuration file.

You can see here for some available configuration files:
http://timidity.s11.xrea.com/files/readme_cfgp.htm

i see that there is a SGM file, but it's for "1.40" version.
But you can see how to load a soundfont specifing configuration for each available instrument.

Torge

Thanks for answering. :)
Yes, changing the mix for all files would be hard..
I use timidity, but I only have a configuration file for Freepats, which I don't use anymore, in /etc/timidity.
Is there a tutorial about how to change these config files?

isabella

I downloaded the demo of sgm-v2.1 ,it's so great !!!

Golbez

I'm downloading this SGM soundfont now. Thanks for the suggestion and link.

I've tested several other interesting soundfonts, and I've found a good selection of higher end soundfonts at these two places:
http://www.personalcopy.com/home.htm (click on "soundfonts" in the left column, and then "big soundfonts" above).

http://www.composition-contest.com/db_sf2.php This place has an extraordinary selection of "Merlin" soundfonts. They're pretty high quality, and I strongly recommend them. But again, I have yet to sample this SGM. Maybe it's better. I hope it is, but I'd be surprised if it was.

schivmeister

Looks like most of the mappings from the older SGM work for the 2.x version.

Get http://timidity.s11.xrea.com/files/cfgs/sgm150v140.cfg and sed the sf2 reference with the path to yours, eg.:

~# sed -i 's|SGM150 v1.40.sf2|/usr/local/share/soundfonts/SGM-V2.01.sf2|g' /etc/timidity++/timidity.cfg

If you noticed I actually replaced my main timidity cfg with it. Now the kicks are awesome and that's all I care about!

Jonathan

Hi guys, agree with Johnny above about the SGM, basses are good but WAAAYY too low. I change banks the other day, and the bass is booming with the other bank, but very weak when I switch back to SGM.

Julian

For me the best is MagicSFver2,
it have less quality sounds than SGM or CrisisGeneralMidi..
but when i play all tracks together i think MagicSFVer produces a more clear sound.

flipe

can someone make a torrent or a ed2k link for a340, this sf is no more available in sf2mid.com

thanks!

Puzzlenoise

How can I implement Soundfonts in Ubuntu?

Julian

Puzzlenoise, this topic talks about timidity soundfont..
but there are a lot of ways to load a soundfont in gnu/linux.

please, start telling us what MIDI Port do you have selected in tuxguitar, and i'll be able to help you configuring one.

Puzzlenoise

I'm using the Realtime Sound Sequencer, the port is "Java Sound Synthesizer"

Julian

Well "Java Sound Synthesizer" don't support soundfonts :).
it support beatnik soundbanks ( personally i think they are horrible ).

To load soundfonts, you have to choice beetween gervill (a replacement of java sound synthesizer if you run tuxguitar with OpenJDK ), timidity or fluidsynth.

these 3 options have .sf2 support.

Anonymous

"It is very easy to put them inside Timidity and Fluidsynth... In Timidity you should just put line

soundfont /path/to/file.SF2

in /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg... and comment freepats or whatever you're using.

Should I write Wiki about this?"

I installed it this way, but it just doesn't work at all :( What is wrong?

Idalee

That's not just logic. That's rellay sensible.

hglyvbn

MSeVeT zjnjpwojiure

boycrazie4eva

car insurance quotes :))) health insurance quotes 652930

Anonymous

LF-The coast clothing is well-known brands, and also the world's most famous genuine ugg boots brand. Sold in the UK market is the United States, coast dresses uk, and are made in China. All sheep wool of fine workmanship, even in summer wear coast dresses will not feel hot. Sand and chestnut color is the most popular color, mid-counter sale of stock. There is also a concept; "Ugg boots uk" Australia produced it? coast dress most of the models are made ??in China, a small number of Coast Halter Dresses manufactured in New Zealand. But one thing to note: the United States ugg boots Useful.

women ugg boots

ZY-Pick from discount barbour jacket quilted they are a nice of footwear, This ugg boots works! winter boots can be encountered in short and high styles. UGG Women Boots Ultimate Tall Braid and barbour quilted jacket can be encountered, barbour jackets to tan and earth colour outlet while UGG Men Boots can be barbour jacket in the bigger neutral colors.

Nike Air Max for Cheap

Air Jordan FootwearReal or fake, Nike Air Max for Cheap Air Jordan footwear are one among the a lot more expensive footwear accessible, basketball footwear a minimum of. ButAir Max Running Shoes
that doesn't cease individuals doing every little thing that they're able to to have a pair. ThisCheap Nike Air Max 2011 is a generalized statement of course, not everyone must have basketball footwear, however the same applies to designer handbags and designer clothes. The factor that designer item fans, such as Jordan shoe lovers, must beNike Air Griffey Max 1 for Saleconscious of is there are many fake or replica designer objects on the market and they should know what these are acquiring.This can be not often so straightforward to confirm, inNike Air Max 90 Infrared reality it isn't easy to make a decision which is real or fake. In case you have a pair of US$500 or US$99 shoes with Nike Air Max 90 Laser Blue each other and they look the exact same which one particular is a fake or are they each fake or are they the two actual?

vibram 5 finger clearance

Actual or fake, Air Jordan footwear are one of the vibram 5 finger clearance a lot more high-priced shoes obtainable, basketball shoes no less than. But that doesn't stop individuals performing everything that they five fingers shoes are able to to acquire a pair. This can be a generalized statement of course, not every person must have Cheap Vibram Bikila Sale basketball shoes, but the very same applies to designer handbags and designer clothing. The point that designer item fans, such vinram five fingers KSO as Jordan shoe lovers, must be aware of is always that there are lots of fake or replica designer products vibram KSO trek out there and they must know what they may be getting.This is not always so straightforward to confirm, the truth Vibram Five Finger Sprints is it is not simple to make a decision which can be real or fake.

weining

Why do Goyard tote bags we go goyard bags to these goyard tote for sale lengths goyard tote replica for you? Simple. goyard handbags Over goyards the goyard tote replica past 15 goyard tote bags buy years we’goyard tote bags for sale ve seen goyard tote bags st louis changes goyard tote bags barneys in this goyard tote bags price industry goyard st louis tote replica that would goyard bags replica knock goyard bag online your goyard tote bags white socks goyard pairs off – both sac goyard good goyard barneys and bad. In goyard price our goyard online business, we goyard need to goyard tote be on goyard handbags online top of goyard bags online every goyard.com change Christian Louboutin replica out Fake christian Louboutin there to Faux Chrisitan Louboutin ensure Christian Louboutin replica boots our Replica christian Louboutin customers red bottom shoes are well Christian louboutin imitation taken knock off christian louboutin bootscare of christian louboutin replica handbags and christian louboutin boots 2011completely louboutin shoes satisfied. christian louboutin sale shoes That’s christian louboutin for less our shoes christian louboutin promise christian louboutin on sale to you – buy christian louboutin complete christian louboutin shoes cheap satisfaction christian louboutin discount shoes or your christian louboutin daffodile money back christian louboutin replica daffodile when you Designer handbagsbuy replica Replica Handbags watches.And Louis Vuitton replica for over Replica Bags 20 years Replica bags uk we’ve pioneered designer handbags purses unbelievable designer handbags for cheap advances in designer wholesale handbags an industry designer handbags discount that’s been designer handbags for sale tainted by designer handbag sale the phrase top designer handbags fake watches.Why best designer handbags do we say designer handbag online tainted? Because designer leather handbag the term fake designer bags for less almost always discount designer handbags outlet mean “junk.” And designer handbags discounted we never accept junk here.Rolex is a world famous Watch company, but not every one has got the money to buy Rolex watch, so for them there is the option of Rolex Watch Replicas. For buying Rolex Watch Replicas it is necessary to go to a good and reputed shop as they can offer such Rolex Watch Replicas that are quality wise sound.

Anonymous

Cheap Nike Shox
Nike Shox Shoes
Mens Nike Shox
New Nike Shox 2011
Vibram Five Fingers
Mens Puma Shoes
New Puma Shoes
Womens Puma Shoes
bbbhbcbewhdjkkjldw3.10.2012

jy

Naturally, heels work quite buy christian louboutin in making the legs look longer, however nude heels really go above cheap toms shoes and beyond. This is simply because the nude shoes "christian louboutin shoes" the human eye into believing the legs are longer than louboutin shoes actually are.This is very important because the comfort and weight of the shoe play a big toms shoes coupon in your footwork on the tennis court.A new shoe should really last you about 3-4 weeks christian louboutin sales if you're playing a whole lot.When you are shopping seriously for toms shoes women, you'll find different christian louboutin outlet available. Some offer light weight, others are a little heavier made for

FHDSA

aol[url=http://www.google.co.uk]google[/url]

maolizi

Have the brand new design of this not only delicate elegance,ralph lauren men tops shirts sale or for the top replica watches time with the diamond match watch circle. 36 mm case circle up is the brilliant cherry blossoms floated down designer handbags on the wind only beautiful moments. Female lasting appeal of a design, also make it may accompany the ladies at different tiffany jewelry, or enjoy a variety of life forms: or grace, or movement, or leisure.